Monday 16 June 2014



27 May 2114
Yesterday, I flew KL to Doha and then on to Nairobi. Aboard the first flight I noticed (perhaps because I was looking for it) that Qatar gave complimentary champagne. So at 8.30, I had a large glass of same - with my breakfast.
Above Jomo Kenyatta Airport Kenyan flags abounded, as did red coated soldiers. An amazing welcome for me and later that afternoon the President was flying in, so he would have appreciated the welcome too.
Normal Nairobi traffic is nose to tail and it can take three hours to get to the airport. So Jeremy and Sophia were not expecting me to be in time to meet them at the French school. But I did. A very offhand and quiet "Hi" is all a grandmother can give when greeting a grandson in front of his school mates. Not so with granddaughters I realized as Sophia enveloped me in a wonderful bear-hug.
There are new additions in the garden since last I was here: chickens. Theodora, the hen, is breaking off motherly care of her teenage chicks, much like we do with our teenagers. There were six, but just before I arrived a hawk carried off one. Its name was Mohawk, so maybe that's why the hawk took it.

No comments:

Post a Comment