Friday 13 February 2015

Hunt the taxi


The tantalizing tale of the taxi continues. We almost saw one this morning, but then learned it was in Pyin U Lwin. Great, I said to Win Kyaing. Why? He asked: it is hours away. Yes, I said, but it must be a really good taxi if it could climb the mountains to Pyin U Lwin.
There was another false alarm when I noticed that a Toyota Brobox (which I thought was Botox) had WIN in large red letters on it. Maybe that’s an omen, I suggested to WIN Kyaing. Maybe it is meant for you.

The nearest we got to buying anything was late afternoon in the car repair shop whither ‘our’ taxi had gone the day before. The vehicle’s dob is 2007. It was already second hand when it arrived in Myanmar two years ago, so it is impossible to know its mileage. (I think Win Kyaing and Kaing Gyi were amazed that I would know such a question to ask) Meanwhile a guy was wielding a blowtorch and banging out the largish dent in the rear of the car. By Sunday the job should be finished and we will take it out for a long test drive (thanks Doug). Meanwhile, the whole of Mandalay is scouring the town to see if there is another Toyota Brobox without a big dent in its rear. We hope to see one or two tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment